FAU Tech Runway®
recently hosted its annual Launch Competition, revealing its ninth class, “Venture Class 9.”
The Launch Competition provides the most promising startups and talented entrepreneurs in South Florida with an opportunity to join a year-long program that offers competition winners “best-in-class” instruction, mentoring, networking, marketing and capital-raising assistance, co-working space, events, intern support, and other vital programs.
Among the 21 companies joining Venture Class 9, seven of these will receive a $15,000 cash investment award.
The 21 winners representing community, faculty and student tracks were selected by a panel of judges, including successful entrepreneurs, technology investors, entrepreneurship professors, economic development professionals, philanthropists and commercial bankers.
This year’s seven cash investment award winners are:
- DiaM Life Inc.: a unified diabetes care and management software solution that uses neuropsychology, behavior science, contextual artificial intelligence, digital health, next-generation engagement and deep brain science to improve results and outcomes associated with diabetes.
- Use My Benefits: provides an easy-to-use loyalty benefits program to its clients.
- D2Airport: offers passengers a new mobile airline service that allows them to check-in their baggage at a designated local facility (e.g., hotel, mall, outlet) and have the pieces reliably delivered to the airport hours prior to departure.
- ROOMATERS: a mobile app marketplace that helps college students and young professionals identify compatible roommates by using algorithm technology and a roommate personality test developed by a relationship psychologist.
- Carbon Limit Co.: is a carbon capture utilization and storage company, with a proprietary carbon technology that removes atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Fit Oven: utilizes an intelligent vending machine to refrigerate, heat up and dispense healthy meals that are prepared by a local food prep supplier.
- Vitruvian VDR: is a software company solving fit uncertainty in the apparel e-commerce space with our size suggestion tool and virtual dressing room.
In addition, 14 more companies were awarded including: Atligo, Blockchain Assets LLC, BlueGreen Innovations LLC, The Brack Institute, Catalyst Global Education Marketplace (Catalyst GEM), GoAwake; Grownextdoor; Limitless Medical Logs LLC; Marine Connex; Restful Robotics Inc.; ROSI Giving Platform; Safe Date; Smart Multipurpose Robotic System; and Synchronyx.
“The Venture Class 8 graduates were extraordinarily successful during one of the most challenging years in economic history,” said Jessica Beaver, associate director of FAU Tech Runway. “We are looking forward to working with the next venture class, which is comprised of a diverse range of promising business start-ups.”
In addition to the investment awards received by the top third of the incoming class, all Venture Class 9 winners join a robust community of fellow entrepreneurs, mentors, investors, instructors, and top-level support professionals. They will receive co-working access, skills training, and expert business mentoring, all at no cost. More than 75 highly-vetted, MIT program-trained mentors, instructors, and staff serve as mentors, trainers, and support professionals.
FAU Tech Runway® is a public-private partnership formed to incubate and accelerate early-stage technology-based companies, under the purview of FAU’s Division of Research. It has provided financial support, entrepreneurial education, free workspace, investor introductions, expert mentoring, marketing assistance, student interns, and a close-knit entrepreneurial community for more than 114 early-stage companies since its launch.
In seven years, FAU Tech Runway companies have generated 642 jobs; 96 FAU students have been employed; 120 patent applications were filed; more than $278.4 million in revenue has been earned; and more than $133.8 million in investment capital has been raised.
For more information on FAU Tech Runway®, visit techrunway.fau.edu.